Advance Health Care Directive

An Advance Health Care Directive is a way to make your health care wishes known in the event you are unable to speak for yourself or prefer someone else to speak for you. An Advance Health Care Directive can serve one or both of these functions:

  • Power of Attorney for Health Care (to appoint an agent)
  • Instructions for Health Care (to indicate your wishes)

Advance Directive Forms

The California Hospital Association offers versions of the form in English and Spanish that you can download, print and fill out:

After completing the form, make sure to discuss your wishes with your family and the person you appoint to speak on your behalf. Also, make copies for those close to you and your doctor, and bring one in to Enloe Medical Center for your medical record.

For more information on Advance Health Care Directives, see our “Voice Your Choice” booklet or call Enloe Case Management at (530) 332-7502. You can also read our Frequently Asked Questions or watch our video. 


POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) is a form that states what kind of medical treatment patients want toward the end of their lives. Printed on bright pink paper, and signed by both a doctor and patient, POLST helps give seriously ill patients more control over their end-of-life care. Learn more from the Coalition for Compassionate Care of California.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the Advance Health Care Directive different from a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care?
The Advance Health Care Directive (AHCD) was enacted by July 2000 legislation and replaced the Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care (DPAHC) and the Natural Death Act Declaration. However, if you had already completed one of these forms that was valid before July 1, 2000, it is still valid now. 

I’ve never completed an Advance Health Care Directive before. Why should I?
Persons of all ages may unexpectedly be in a position where they cannot speak for themselves, such as an accident or severe illness. In these situations, having an Advance Health Care Directive assures that your doctor knows your wishes about the kind of care you want and/or who you want to make decisions on your behalf.

Does this mean only one person can decide for me? What if I want others involved, too?
Often many family members are involved in decision-making. Most of the time, that works well, but occasionally, people will disagree about the best course of action. It is usually best to name just one person as the agent (with a back up, if you want). You can also indicate if there is someone who you do not want to make decisions for you.

But I thought the doctors made all those life-and-death decisions anyway?
Actually, doctors tell you about your medical condition, your different treatment options and what may happen with each type of treatment. Though doctors provide guidance, the decision to have, refuse or stop a treatment is yours.

What if something happens to me and no form has been completed?
If you are not able to speak for yourself, the doctor and health care team will turn to one or more family members or friends. The most appropriate decision-maker is the one with a close, caring relationship with you, is aware of your values and beliefs and is willing and able to make the needed decisions.

My “values and beliefs?” But I haven't talked with anyone about these!
That's why it is a good idea to talk with family or close friends about the things that are important to you regarding quality of life and how you would want to spend your last days and weeks. Knowing the things that are most important to you will help your loved ones make the best decisions possible on your behalf. If your agent doesn’t know your wishes, then he or she will decide based on what he or she believes is in your best interest.

What if I don't want to appoint an agent? Or don't have one to appoint?
You do not have to appoint an agent. You can still complete the Instructions for Health Care portion of the Advance Health Care Directive form, and this will provide your doctors with information to guide your care.

What kinds of things can I write in my Instructions for Health Care?
You can, if you wish, write your preferences about accepting or refusing life-sustaining treatment (such as CPR, feeding tubes or breathing machines), receiving pain medication, making organ donations, indicating your main doctor for providing your care, or other things that express your wishes and values.

If I appoint an agent, what can that person do?
Your agent will make all decisions for you, just like you would if you could. Your agent can choose your doctor and where you will receive your care, speak with your health care team, review your medical record and authorize its release, accept or refuse all medical treatments and make arrangements for you when you die. You should instruct your agent on these matters so he/she knows how to decide for you. The more you tell them the better they will be able to make those decisions on your behalf.

When does my agent make decisions for me?
Usually the agent makes decisions only if you are unable to make them yourself – such as, if you’ve lost the ability to understand things or communicate clearly. However, if you want, your agent can speak on your behalf at any time, even when you are still capable of making your own decisions. You can also appoint a "temporary" agent. For example, if you suddenly become ill, you can tell your doctor if there is someone else you want to make decisions for you. This oral instruction is just as legal as a written one!

Are there other oral instructions that don't involve a written form?
Yes. You can make an individual health care instruction orally to any person at any time, and it is considered valid. All health care providers must document your wishes in your medical record. But it is often easier to follow your instructions if they are written down.

Can I make up my own form or use one from another state?
Yes. That's why this law is so flexible. Any type of form is legal as long as it includes 1) your signature and date, 2) the signature of two qualified witnesses, and 3) if you reside in a skilled nursing facility, the signature of the patient advocate or ombudsman. These signatures, however, must include special wording.

Sounds difficult. Do I need an attorney to help with this?
No. Completing an Advance Health Care Directive isn't difficult, and an attorney is not necessary. But actually the most important part of this is talking to your loved ones. Without that conversation, the best form in the world may not be helpful!

OK, I'll talk to them! But what should I do with the form after I complete it?
Make copies for all those who are close to you. Take one to your doctor to discuss and ask that it be included in your medical record. Also, take one to your local hospital so if you enter the emergency room it will have your Advance Health Care Directive already in your medical record. Photocopied forms are just as valid as the original. And be sure to keep a copy for yourself in a visible, easy-to-find location – not locked up in a drawer.

What if I change my mind?
You can revoke your form (or your oral instructions) at any time. Also, it's a good idea to retrieve old forms and replace them with new ones.

Do doctors or hospitals require a patient to have an Advance Health Care Directive form?
No, they cannot require you to complete one. But doctors and hospitals should have information available to you and your family about the form and your right to make health care decisions.


  • video-img

    Drs. Voelker and Lobosky honored with 2014 Physician Legacy Award

  • video-img

    Drs. Voelker and Lobosky honored with 2014 Physician Legacy Award

  • video-img

    Drs. Voelker and Lobosky honored with 2014 Physician Legacy Award

  • video-img

    Drs. Voelker and Lobosky honored with 2014 Physician Legacy Award

© 2022 Enloe Medical Center. All Rights Reserved.