Enloe Medical Center Named America’s 100 Best for General Surgery and Gastrointestinal Care for second consecutive year
CHICO, Calif., Oct. 20, 2020 — Enloe Medical Center is one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery and Gastrointestinal Care, according to new research released by Healthgrades, the leading resource that connects consumers, physicians and health systems.
Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 32 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions using Medicare data, and outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states.
Hospitals that have achieved the Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery and Gastrointestinal Care have demonstrated exceptional quality of care. From 2017-2019, patients treated at hospitals receiving the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery Award have, on average, a 28.6 percent lower risk of experiencing a complication or dying while in the hospital than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the award.*
“Now more than ever, consumers understand the importance of hospital quality and starting to become more diligent when researching where they receive care,” said Brad Bowman, M.D., Healthgrades’ chief medical officer. “When selecting a hospital, consumers can feel confident in the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery and Gastrointestinal for their commitment to quality care and exceptional outcomes.”
Enloe Medical Center was also recognized for the following clinical achievements:
- Named Among the Top 5 percent in the Nation for Cranial Neurosurgery for two Years in a Row (2020-2021)
- Named Among the Top 10 percent in the Nation for Critical Care in 2021
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack (2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Total Hip Replacement for three Years in a Row (2019-2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis for three Years in a Row (2019-2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Respiratory Failure for three Years in a Row (2019-2021)
“This recognition from Healthgrades speaks volumes on the emphasis of quality and safety that each and every caregiver in our organization provides to our patients,” said Mike Wiltermood, Enloe Medical Center’s president and CEO. “Having a community that puts their trust in us to provide care for them and their loved ones is something we do not take for granted, and achieving these results during the challenging landscape of a global pandemic, reveals the uncompromising drive our medical center has in consistently delivering quality, patient-centered care.”
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute-care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 32 common conditions and procedures, and evaluated outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states.
Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected) and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected). View the full list of Specialty Excellence Award recipients. Find the complete Healthgrades 2021 Report to the Nation and detailed study methodology.
# # #
* Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2017 through 2019 and represent three-year estimates for Medicare patients only. For appendectomy and bariatric surgery, Healthgrades used inpatient data from 16 states that provide all-payer data for years 2016 through 2018.