2017 Recipients

Fourth Quarter 2017 Recipients

Marek Abraham, David Castillo, David De La Rosa, Danyel Hurd, Kathleen Irwin, Ryan Knight, Cindy Llewellyn, Megan Lyford, Kellie Lyons, Joyce Hahn, Garth Penkala, Amber Polanco, Kate Stallone, Zachary Valdez and Sara Voigtritter
Their Story of Excellence: A young woman arrived in a car, obviously very ill. David De La Rosa, Guest Services Representative, Volunteer Services, noticed that the woman needed immediate help and told Joyce Hahn, Volunteer, to call a code blue.

Kate Stallone, Diagnostic Technologist, Radiology, was on her way to the Gift Shop during her break when someone ran inside the lobby screaming for help. Kate immediately took charge of the situation with composure and bravery, assessed the person's condition, helped get the woman out of the car, and started CPR.

The code and ER teams, including Lift Team members Zachary Valdez and Garth Penkala, arrived to help. Kate made sure that when help arrived, the patient's family was also cared for. Unfortunately, the team was unable to revive the patient.

After the patient passed, her parents were located and notified. As they lived in another state, it was going to take time for them to arrive, but they wanted to see their daughter one last time.

Emergency Department RNs Danyel Hurd and Marek Abraham advocated for keeping the patient in the ER until her parents could arrive. The ER was unable to do so, and Cindy Llewellyn, Nurse Manager, NTSICU, advocated for the patient to come to NTSICU until the parents arrived, as the morgue does not accommodate visitors, and the funeral home could not open its doors for the parents when they arrived in the middle of the night.

The patient arrived in NTSICU, and the entire day shift team made it a priority to find out how they could make the patient as beautiful as possible for her parents. Amber Polanco, RN, called and talked with the coroner. RNs Kellie Lyons, David Castillo, Ryan Knight, and Amber helped with patient care so that RN Megan Lyford and I could bathe the patient and take time to comb out her very tangled hair before braiding it.

As the shift ended, the patient looked beautiful in a clean gown, a fresh sheet covered her and the room was nicely lit. Kathleen Irwin, RN, who was not officially assigned to the patient, took on the role of helping her parents spend time with her when they arrived.

This day, while heartbreaking on many levels, made me so proud to work at Enloe, and in NTSICU. Our team cared for this young patient as if she was our own family member. I am especially proud of Cindy, who was so willing to help the parents see their child one more time, and the NTSICU team, who lovingly cared for her. It is an incredible gift to be a part of this team.

When the patient's parents arrived, they requested a lock of her hair to keep. I am grateful we could give them this small piece of their beautiful daughter to remember her by. It made everything we did more than worthwhile.

Submitted by Sara Voigtritter, RN, NTSICU
Back to Top

Kelley Ceccon, Sharon Frei and Aldebra Schroll
Their Story of Excellence: A patient on the fourth floor was told by an oncologist that she had only about two weeks to live. The patient wanted very much to spend her remaining time at home, but had a chest tube on one side and needed frequent thoracenteses (fluid removal) on the other side. She was not able to get a chest drainage system that is managed in the home.

It is not customary to send patients home with the type of chest tube that this patient had, but Aldebra Schroll, M.D., Hospice & Palliative Medicine; Kelley Ceccon, Physician's Assistant, Cardiovascular Services; and Sharon Frei, Care Coordinator, Case Management, worked together to devise a plan to enable the patient to go home with Hospice.

Kelley placed a bulb suction device on the existing chest tube to eliminate the need to keep the patient hooked up to pleurovac suction and ordered a chest tube placed on the other side in Interventional Radiology, which was also attached to a bulb suction device. An Enloe Hospice nurse came to the hospital to see the patient.

Because of the extra efforts of these three, as well as help from nursing, Hospice and Radiology staff, the patient was able to go home with Enloe Hospice.

Submitted by Barbara Haskin, RN, Oncology/Peds
Back to Top

Kelley Ceccon, Jeff Marsh, Jeff Martinek, David Nikolic, Marin Sanguinetti, Hannah Stockmeir, Srinivas Pulagam and Todd Richter
Their Story of Excellence: [I'm] not sure what to write about when it comes to my dad's time in the hospital. So many thoughts and emotions come to mind. I remember in the beginning when he was more alert, he was smitten with all the pretty nurses.

You would just see him smile. They all loved his buzz cut. He appreciated how much they did for him. He didn't want to bother the nurses when he was in pain. We had to remind him, "Use the call button if you're in pain. They are here to help you."

The nursing staff at Enloe was awesome with our dad. Then there were the ones who stood out even more, going above and beyond. Jeff Marsh, RN, Cardiovascular Unit (CVU), had a strong connection with our dad. He would walk in the room and say, "Hello, Oklahoma." He was tough and got Dad to do things that he needed to do to progress.

Jeff has a strong healing spirit about him [and was] very passionate about his job. I would say nursing is his calling. David Nikolic, RN, CVU, "smarter than Google," was another extraordinary nurse, always very cool, calm and very focused. When he would crack a smile, you could tell there was sweetness about him. We were able to ask him anything.

At first, it was so hard to leave at night, but getting to know the nurses and seeing how much they cared about our dad, we began to feel comfortable and trusted that our dad was in good hands. We always knew he'd be OK.

Then there was the heart team, physician assistants from Cardiovascular Services: Kelley Ceccon, Todd Richter and Jeff Martinek. They never gave up. When their job was done, they still continued to check on Dad and the family.

Kelley and some from her team would come in and talk to Dad, talk to family, explain anything we had questions on, or just give us a hug or smile to let us know, "I have your back. We are here for you."

When it came toward the end of Dad's time in the hospital and the frustration, anger, hurt, tiredness, and emotions were at their peak, we met Hannah Stockmeir, Care Coordinator in Case Management. She could see all these emotions in us and helped us so much at the end. She helped give us a better understanding of what was happening and what we needed to do.

Then there was "Dr. P," Srinivas Pulagam, M.D. None of us could get his name right, so we called him, "Dr. P." He, too, came toward the end of Dad's time, but he made such a strong impact on our family. Dr. P has great patience, professionalism, big heart and fight. He did not want to give up on Dad, all the way up to the point we couldn't fight anymore. We had to give it to God. God had a different plan. Dad went with him.

The moments after Dad passed, the great staff at Enloe continued to be there for us and our dad. Marin Sanguinetti, one of Dad's RNs, read a beautiful poem [as part of] an honoring ceremony for him, and we were all able to say our goodbyes. This ceremony gave staff and family a beautiful way to say goodbye.

Thank you to the doctors, nurses, physical therapists, sitters, valets, and anyone else who met Dad and our family. We appreciate everything you did for us. You are very much appreciated and will not be forgotten.

Submitted by Michelle August, Nurse Manager, Cardiovascular Unit, on behalf of the patient's family
Back to Top

Andy Lee and Hazel Licudine
Their Story of Excellence: My dad was in the hospital for a total knee replacement, and my mom became ill during a visit. Andy Lee, RN, Surgical Care Unit (SCU), so kindly got a wheelchair.

While getting my mom to the elevator, she started vomiting, and he was so kind and patient with her, getting her a clean bucket, a towel, and a couple of nurses came out of patient rooms to see if we needed anything.

Hazel Licudine, RN, SCU, proceeded to get some peppermint aromatherapy to help with [Mom's] nausea and ran downstairs to get her a ginger ale. Andy then went and communicated to my dad what was going on, which was greatly appreciated…

Prior to this day, Andy always came in and, upon checking on my dad, he greeted each of us by name and always asked if we needed anything. There is such great teamwork on this unit, and the entire staff that we encountered was very welcoming, caring and concerned.

We always knew Enloe was a great hospital, but after this experience, it is top notch in our books. [On the] first day home from the hospital, my dad told someone who needed a knee replacement they have to go to Enloe. They are the best!

I know it is what you do, but not all caregivers have the heart like you do, so thank you!

Submitted by Ronda De La Rosa, Risk Management Specialist, Corporate Compliance
Back to Top

David Pierce
His Story of Excellence: David Pierce, Guest Services Representative, shared this story with me on Christmas Day because he wanted to make sure I knew what happened during his shift.

David's story: On the evening of Christmas Day, the volunteers had completed their shift and departed at 5 p.m. At about 6 p.m., a couple in their mid-50s approached my station at the information desk. They were clearly upset, and I could see that they had both been crying.

They told me that they wanted to buy some flowers for their daughter. I told them that I'd be happy to open up the Gift Shop for them and, knowing that not all units permitted flowers, I asked them where their daughter was.

"She's in ICU," said the father. I told them that, unfortunately, flowers are not allowed in ICU, but that we could probably find something appropriate.

The mom turned and spotted the shelf of teddy bears on display inside the Gift Shop. "Do you think one of those stuffed bears would be OK in ICU?" she asked.

"I'm sure one of those would be fine," I assured her, and led them into the Gift Shop.

I stood behind the counter as Mom took the lead, fiercely scanning the display of stuffed toys. She grabbed a bear dressed in surgical scrubs and draped with a miniature stethoscope.

"This one!" she stated emphatically. Dad scrutinized the price tag. "It's $37," he commented neutrally.

"He's worth every penny," said the mother, clearly not to be dissuaded from her life raft. She brought the bear over to the register, and we discovered that it was animatronic and sang the pop song, "Bad case of loving you" when a button on the bear's paw was pressed. This explained the expense of the toy. She still wanted it. She then spotted and grasped at another metaphorical straw – "and the 'Get well' balloon!"

I clipped the helium balloon to the bear's scrub top, rang up the two items and asked the dad if he was going to be paying with cash, debit, or credit. The total was $40.74.

"Cash," he said and began to fumble with his wallet. I could see immediately that he did not have even close to the amount needed to cover the purchase, but in my pocket were two $20 bills and some coins as well. I could see the realization that he was short of cash beginning to dawn on the father's awareness, but before he had to admit defeat, I picked up the balloon-festooned bear, held it out to him and said, "You know what? Merry Christmas."

His gaze swam up to me through his fog of emotional confusion. "Really?" he managed to ask. "Merry Christmas." I repeated. He came around the counter and fully embraced me.

"Thank you," he said and began to sob. I just held him and let him cry on my shoulder, his story spilling out with his tears.

Then the mom began to tell me about their daughter's plans for the future. As she was explaining, Dad gathered himself together and rejoined his wife in front of the counter.

"I'll bring her down to meet you when she gets out," he told me as they were leaving the Gift Shop.

"I look forward to meeting her," I said and waved as they headed for the elevator. I returned to the register, selected the "cash" option, pulled the two $20 bills out of my pocket, counted out 74 cents, placed the money in the till and closed the drawer with a satisfying sense of fitting a puzzle piece into place.

Submitted by Roseanna Galindo-Kuhn, Director, Volunteer Services
Back to Top

Third Quarter 2017 Recipients

Enloe Education Center Staff
Their Story of Excellence: What I love most about working at Enloe is that my co-workers are more like family. As a nurse, it is hard to ask for help. It is even harder to accept help. Nurses are really bad at that.

It is ingrained in us that we are the helpers, not the "helpless." We are strong, independent "care-givers," not "care-takers."

My life has been somewhat overwhelming for a while now. Most of what I have needed to do were tasks I could not share. Recently, my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She needed to be admitted to Enloe. I was faced with trying to be there with her and trying to get her apartment ready for her possible return home.

My mom is a smoker, and it has been hard to get in and help her clean her home for some time now due to the smoke smell. My mom also refused to let me help her, as she just didn't care about cleaning while she was not feeling well.

Now with her in the hospital, I had a quick moment to clean it up for her. It was so awful, I was completely overwhelmed. I was looking at trying to hire someone to help me when I spoke to my boss, Dawn Winter. Dawn has checked in with me often to see if I was OK or if I needed anything. I told her about the apartment.

"Finally," she said, "something we can do for you. We can help you clean!"

By the next day, Dawn had contacted all of our Enloe unit educators and secretarial staff. On Sunday, a team came to my rescue and cleaned my mom's apartment. This was no easy task. Everything was covered with sticky brown nicotine. I don't think my mom had cleaned anything for many, many months. Her Christmas decorations were still up in July.

I felt so awful that I had let my mom live that way even if she had insisted. I felt very exposed and vulnerable to let anyone else see it, especially my nurse co-workers. What I received was the most genuine love and understanding.

This team swooped in, and within 2 hours the entire kitchen, living room, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and all the curtains and blinds were cleaned. They cleaned, scrubbed, washed, organized, mopped, vacuumed, cleaned drawers and closets, and even washed all the walls. It took some major elbow grease.

What did they say to me? "That was fun. What a great team we have! "And, "Thank you for letting us help you." And also, "This was so rewarding to see the before and after."

Who does this? Who drops everything with a day's notice to come clean a stranger's very dirty apartment? The Enloe Education Center staff—that is who.

With two strong hands and open, loving hearts these ladies helped me in 2 hours do what would have taken me a week to do on my own. Enloe is not just a place to work. Enloe is my home filled with my sisters, my special, loving Enloe family.

Submitted by Lori Silva, RN, Clinical Educator, Enloe Education Center
Back to Top

Michael Jenkins
His Story of Excellence: I am writing to you in regards to a very amazing selfless act I witnessed while conducting rounds in the main lobby one Monday morning in August from Valet Manager Michael Jenkins.

I was conducting quality rounds and heard a woman screaming headed toward the main lobby saying, "My daughter can't breathe," as she was carrying her teenage daughter, who was gasping for air in a panic, in her arms.

Michael overheard the commotion and immediately dropped what he was doing at the valet stand and grabbed a wheelchair to help the mother transfer her daughter. Michael ran with the wheelchair, pushing the daughter all the way to the Emergency Room lobby entrance, wasting no more precious time.

This was a very fast 5 minutes, all during the normal daily morning flow as well. I have to tell you I was extremely impressed by his selflessness to help this mom in her time of need. Michael showed courage and a sense of urgency during a situation that was progressively getting worse by the minute.

Situations like this and employees like Michael are what make me proud to be a part of the Enloe family. I hope you can share this email with him to let him know that no good deed goes unnoticed.

Submitted by Dominique Peoples, Assistant Director, Environmental Services
Back to Top

Ron Johnson, Linda McKinnon and Mace McIntosh
Their Story of Excellence: During a week in July, the Surgical Care Unit had some very challenging patients on the unit. Each day, Security was contacted to provide support and assistance, as my charge nurses and I dealt with patients who were acting inappropriately toward our staff.

Each time we called Security, they responded promptly and remained on the unit until the issue was resolved. Sometimes we called them more than once during a shift, and they still responded quickly and were extremely supportive.

I want to recognize three security officers: Ron Johnson, Linda McKinnon and Mace McIntosh for their patience, kindness and professionalism as they stood by our side while we had crucial conversations with patients. In addition, they communicated shift to shift and rounded on our unit checking in with my charge nurse to ensure all was calm.

I truly appreciate our security officers and feel they are a tremendous asset to our organization. Thank you on behalf of the entire staff on the Surgical Care Unit!

Submitted by Joanne Joksch, RN, Nurse Manager, Surgical Care Unit
Back to Top

Nancy Paulo
Her Story of Excellence: I would like to congratulate my co-worker Nancy Paulo, Home Medical Equipment, on an amazing Story of Excellence. We had the duty of working with two patients, a husband and wife, whose home had been destroyed in a fire.

In addition to losing their home, they had also lost medical equipment in the fire. Unfortunately, their insurance company was not willing to cover the cost of the replacement machines. This is when Nancy stepped in!

Not only did she demonstrate amazing compassion toward these folks who had just lost everything, she made it her personal mission to get this equipment covered. She worked diligently for days, contacting different departments within the insurance company.

Finally, she received the phone call that their equipment would be covered! She never lost sight of the patients and the situation they were going through and worked hard to give them the medical equipment that they desperately needed during this tough time.

I would like to thank Nancy for her incredibly hard work and perseverance on behalf of the patients we serve. Through this whole situation, Nancy really demonstrated patient-centered care to its full meaning.

Submitted by Theresa Kurland, Customer Service Representative, Home Medical Equipment
Back to Top

Henrietta Wilson
Her Story of Excellence: Since coming under Enloe's medical insurance four years ago, I have been bringing my two daughters to Enloe Clinical Lab to have blood drawn for their thyroid condition. We come in every three to six months, which means we have come in eight to 12 times or more over the last four years. That's a lot of lab visits!

When we started, one daughter was 12, the other was 5. Neither daughter likes getting poked with a needle, but the youngest, in particular, is absolutely terrified of needles.

Every time we go to the lab for a blood draw, we have had a female phlebotomist. And every single time, each woman has been patient, gentle and kind, especially with my youngest daughter, who has the highest anxiety. I can only remember a few of their names, but if this story wins, perhaps someone could look in medical records to see which phlebotomist saw my daughters because each visit, without fail, these ladies have gone above and beyond to talk my daughter through her fears.

They've made adjustments to help her be as comfortable as possible. They've delayed the actual needle stick as long as possible until she is ready. They've let her choose her color of bandage afterward, and they are always encouraging, patient and kind. Never once have we dealt with a grumpy phlebotomist. Never once have they been inpatient or rude, or hurried us out of there.

The most recent experience is what prompted this story. In early August I came in with my now 9-year-old daughter without her older sister, something we don't normally do. We saw Henrietta Wilson in the lab that day, and she was completely wonderful with Meghan.

She made Meghan laugh, she shared her own stories of taking her child in for blood draws and, because she was in between patients, she spent a good amount of time helping Meghan feel comfortable before the blood draw, more so, even, than we had seen before with the other wonderful phlebotomists.

My daughter was so impressed with—and so enjoyed—Henrietta that she asked to see her every time we go back! Weeks later, I ran into Henrietta in the hallway at work. She remembered Meghan and I and asked how Meghan was doing. How heartwarming to know that with all the patients she must see, Henrietta remembered my daughter.

I know the lab is a very busy department with lots of demands on the staff there, which makes me even more impressed each time we go in and experience yet another wonderful phlebotomist. Thank you, ladies, for your consistent patience, kindness and caring for my daughters!

Submitted by Melissa Dunn, Assistant, Human Resources
Back to Top

Second Quarter 2017 Recipients

Eliza Anderson, Alan Adams, Matt Angelo, Kym Casperson and Darci Yartz
Their Story of Excellence: Recently, an elderly woman was involved in a collision on a rural highway resulting in her vehicle going off the road and down a large embankment. The woman's support dog was in the vehicle at the time and got tumbled around in the accident.

FlightCare team members RN Eliza Anderson, Paramedic Alan Adams, and Pilot Matt Angelo responded to the crash scene to treat and transport this patient. The patient and the crew were also concerned about her dog, Ben, because he was approximately 14 years old with arthritis and deaf. He would have ended up going with a CHP officer to Chester that night where there were no family or friends to receive him. All three crew members agreed that the right thing to do would be to transport the dog in the helicopter along with his owner.

The patient arrived to the trauma room in the Emergency Department with Ben laying on his owner and not moving. He lifted his head slightly as he and his owner were moved over to the ED gurney while spinal precautions were maintained. ED RN Kym Casperson gently moved the dog over to the second gurney in the trauma room while treatment was started by the trauma team on the patient. Kym palpated Ben's body to try and determine if any injury had occurred, and Ben offered no resistance to her exam, which worried Kym even more.

She could find no obvious signs of trauma or injury, and he seemed to be comforted by petting. Kym felt it would be appropriate for Ben to be examined by a veterinarian and, along with social worker Darci Yartz, held a conversation with the patient about their concerns. They cautioned the owner that it could be expensive, and they discussed together what treatment would be appropriate and realistic for this elderly dog.

Kym called Valley Oak clinic and explained the situation, and they agreed to have a tech meet Ben on arrival to the clinic with a stretcher ready as needed. Kym arranged to have her husband, Jeff, come to the ED to transport Ben. Kym and Darcy held Ben so that his owner (who remained in a cervical collar) could see him and hold him, telling him what a good dog he had been. Once his owner had said goodbye, Ben was placed in the front seat of Jeff's car and transported to Valley Oak.

The owner's friend from Forest Ranch met Jeff and Ben at the clinic, and Ben perked up once he saw her familiar face. As far as we know, Ben was reunited with his owner after his visit to Valley Oak. He had quite the adventure that day, and his owner was grateful for the care given to both of them.

Submitted by Patty Arena, Nurse Manager, Emergency Department
Back to Top

Ruth Epperson, Betsy Braley, Jennifer Begier, Charles Eric Schroeder and Eugene Cleek
Their Story of Excellence: In March, a patient was transferred back to Enloe from UCSF, where she had a tracheostomy tube placed. A few days later, as the patient was being turned, she began bleeding profusely.

The RN quickly called Respiratory; Ruth Epperson, Respiratory Therapy, who was nearby; and the physician. Betsy Braley and Jennifer Beiger, RNs in N/TSICU, along with Ruth, quickly and calmly began administering to the patient by applying pressure to the trach site and evaluating where the bleeding might have been coming from.

Charles Eric Schroeder, M.D., entered the room and was able to apply pressure to the area of innominate artery. They were able to staunch the bleeding, which eventually stopped completely. Eugene Cleek, M.D., responded rapidly to an urgent consult for this patient and provided guidance. They were unable to confirm the source of the bleeding so the patient was transferred back to UCSF. It was estimated that she had about 2 units of blood loss.

Innominate artery erosion is a noted, though rare, complication of placing a tracheostomy tube, usually occurring a few weeks after tube placement. Unfortunately, because it is an artery that is not readily accessible, most people who have this happen typically do not survive. Additionally, this is something that the team had not actually seen before, yet they kept their cool.

Due to the calm, yet quick reaction of staff, the patient was able to survive this life-threatening event. Great teamwork! Great job!

Submitted by Sherry Blansfield, Manager, Respiratory Care
Back to Top

Ali Keller
Her Story of Excellence: I had a case with Ali Keller, Social Worker, Case Management, yesterday, and wanted to highlight her exemplary work.

A patient (with her son), who, as best as I can figure, had an event on a bus while traveling from Vancouver, Wash., to Los Angeles. [It's] not entirely clear if it was dystonia, jaw subluxation/dislocation, pseudo-seizure or a panic attack. The last such event was three weeks prior, and there is a history of many such events.

Anyway, she came in overwhelmed and in pain. Things resolved. I start asking questions about where it happened, learn about the bus trip and learned that they don't know anyone in Chico. Her son mentions LA but also El Paso, Texas. The whole thing is a bit confusing. I think that a  combination of mild language barrier and that she is just scared after having been essentially yanked off the bus is contributing to the story being confusing.

I asked what she'll do when she is released, and she says they will stay at a motel. I ask if she had money for that and she said, "No." She talks about wanting to go back to Washington. Inquiring further I ask, "Do you have a place there where you live?" Her reply was, "Yes." Then asking if she had money to get back, she responded with a "No."

So I go seeking Ali, probably around 1 a.m. We chat, and she walks from her office to [the room]. Not too much later she asks when the patient will be ready for discharge. I shared, "Well, that can happen now if needed."

I come to learn Ali has researched a train back to Washington, leaving in a little over an hour, and that she takes care of train tickets, quite cheap, really, and a taxi to the station.

These were really nice people and her son—I'm guessing 10 to 11 years old—was preciously adorable, attentive to his mom, the pillar of calm and very mature.

Friends think that every day I work I'm "saving lives." Of course, that's hardly true. Meaningfully impacting someone's life isn't as common as the TV shows portray, and the same is true for every member of the ER team, including social services. But in the early morning hours of today, Ali really changed the trajectory of two lives, and I suspect others connected to these two travelers who we'll never know about, the people who love them and had no way to help.

I have spent some time thinking about how it must have seemed to the patient: being overwhelmed in a strange place with only strangers around, being responsible for her son, doubting her current plan, wrestling with what to do, too frightened to go forward, not having the luxury of resources to lean on to go backward, carting around many pieces of luggage—able to grasp some of the language, but feeling uncertain about communication—and in a climate that has fostered fear. In swoops Ali with a plan to get them home in the dark hours of early morning, and pulls it off with time bearing down.

I expressed my gratitude to Ali for her work, but wanted to further elaborate to those to whom she reports. This was one of my prouder moments for our institution, and for appreciation of the outstanding work, resolve and compassion demonstrated by one of my colleagues.

Submitted by Julie Martin, Quality Management, on behalf of Steven Zlotowski M.D., Emergency Department
Back to Top

Lori Rollin
Her Story of Excellence: Successful treatment in radiation oncology requires that the patient remain perfectly still during the entirety of each daily treatment. In April we had a patient who we were treating with cancer of the base of tongue. This patient had a very high degree of anxiety, plus he needed suction anytime he was lying down during treatment.

On a Monday and Tuesday we attempted to start his treatment but were unsuccessful because he was too anxious and unable to lay still. His issues were discussed at our Interdisciplinary Department team meeting on Wednesday, and a plan was developed to ensure that he felt at ease and was reassured that everything would be OK during his third attempt at treatment that evening.

Lori Rollin, RN, Radiation Therapy, was working that day and understood that this patient needed some extra care if his first treatment was going to be a success. Lori started her day at 8 a.m. and went home at 5 p.m. After cooking dinner for her family she returned to the department at 6 p.m. to care for this gentleman. Her presence demonstrated to our patient that he was in great hands and that we were not going to give up on him.

She made a difference that night to our patient by being the calming and reassuring presence he so desperately needed. In addition, she was a role model to other staff by truly putting the patient first and demonstrating what patient-centered care is. Lori is an inspiration to us all.

Submitted by Radiation Therapy employees Heather Ralston, RN; Jacque Wells, Patient Support Clerk; Nancy Hansen, Patient Support Clerk; and Ehren Hawkins, Manager, Cancer Center Operation & Radiation
Back to Top

Same Day Surgery (James Harro, Surgical Technologist; Rachele Collins, Sterile Processing; Lenore Honan, RN; Charline Gauslin, RN; Ginny "Virginia" Adams, RN;  Melissa Mathews, RN;  Landon Gardner, Unit Secretary;  Laurie Rozzano, RN;  Jennifer Burke, RN;  Kristie Pierce-Berkill, RN; Kelly Leckinger, Surgical Technologist; Lindsey Pegg, Surgical Technologist; Kevin Myers, M.D.; and Kirk Granlund, M.D.)
Their Story of Excellence: When a Chico High School ROP student first began his rotation, he wanted to be a PT assistant. Now he wants to be a surgical assistant.

I am nominating this department/staff because I feel so strongly about the ROP program and their involvement at Enloe Medical Center, and this "thank you" note [from the student] says a lot for this department being so involved with their students. Maybe someday [the student] will return to Enloe Medical Center!

The student's note: I want to sincerely thank you all for giving me the best experience! You guys are some of the best people I have met in my life. You guys made a great impact in my life. You guys have motivated me to push myself and be someone.

I hope we all cross roads in the future and will be able to work together in the future. You guys opened my eyes that co-workers aren't just people who just work together but are family that can have fun together. I want to thank you guys all again for the time and knowledge you guys shared with me. I really appreciate it.

Submitted by Margie Rackley, Program Assistant, Enloe Outpatient Center, on behalf of the ROP student
Back to Top

Belarmino Simbo
His Story of Excellence: Our family would like to thank and recognize the entire staff of the fourth floor Oncology Unit. During our father's stay he received excellent care and treatment throughout all interactions with hospital staff. In particular, we would also like to formally thank one individual who really stood out and made a difference.

Belarmino Simbo, RN, Oncology, was assigned to us for four consecutive night shifts. He not only was prompt, professional, courteous and thorough, he also went well above the normal call of duty. Belarmino took it upon himself to research one of the chemotherapy drugs that was prescribed and administered by an outside facility. He was able to learn that some of the less common side effects of the treatment may be the entire reason for the current difficulty that our father was experiencing. 

What Belarmino learned and shared was missed by others as well, who were all somewhat confused by some results. This discovery significantly alters our future treatment plans. We feel like not only did Belarmino's attention to detail and care make us happy in the moment, it will also significantly improve the quality of life for our dad.

Many of us in this family work in the health care industry and have very high expectations and standards. Belarmino's example of how to be a truly compassionate and thorough caregiver is what we should all strive to duplicate. Thank you again.

Submitted by Pam Slick, Manager, Oncology/Peds, on behalf of Andrea Mitten, RN, N/TSICU
Back to Top

First Quarter 2017 Recipients

Dr. Emily Hartmann
Her Story of Excellence: On Sunday, we had a Trauma Team Activation at 07:59. The patient was a young woman who had been in a motor vehicle accident and had sustained a large laceration to her face.

The laceration extended from the right side of her mouth to her right ear and was filleted open with jagged edges. 

Plastic surgeon Dr. Emily Hartmann was following up on a patient in the trauma unit and was made aware of the patient in the emergency room. She was kind enough to come see the patient, even though she was not on call, and ultimately took her to the OR to repair her facial laceration. The OR start time was 11:01, and Dr. Hartmann dictated her surgery notes at 14:54.

I found out later that Dr. Hartmann's daughter was performing in church that day, and she missed the performance. We are very fortunate to have such a gifted, compassionate physician!

Story submitted by Ellen Noble, RN, Charge Nurse, NTSICU
Back to Top

Debbie King
Her Story of Excellence: I was working night shift charge nurse on Monday. Tuesday morning I received a call from dispatch that they had sent paramedics to a fire explosion call on East and Highway 32, and they would call me with any updates.

Shortly afterward EMS was bringing in the surviving mother and her 4-year-old daughter for smoke inhalation and general medical help. They had just lost everything in the mobile home fire, including the 4-year-old twin, who was caught in the back of the house.

Mom's hair was singed from the flames from when she tried to rescue her twin daughters. Overwhelmed by heat, fire and smoke, the mother retreated for safety with the surviving twin. They watched their house burn to the ground as EMS and fire tried to save the little girl. I assigned them to a room in pod 4. The strong smell of smoke was noticed throughout the ED. Mom had no shoes and their clothes were ruined.

Debbie King, RN, decided to start a fundraiser so we could get mom and daughter some new, clean clothes to wear home. She came to me and informed me of this, and the word spread. Everyone started running to their wallets and to the ATM to contribute to the cause.

Debbie donated a pair of shoes for mom. Diane Wagster, RN, ran out to her car to get a bag of clothes that she purchased for her own daughters as Christmas gifts. One of the staff members donated their Enloe Christmas $25 Visa gift card that they just received in the mail. Total donations of cash, gift cards and clothes quickly came to around $1,400.

I was so impressed by the enthusiasm and acts of kindness of our staff. It was amazing to see everyone come together to help a family who lost everything they owned and a family member as well. We couldn't replace their losses, but the fundraiser that Debbie started will help out tremendously. I am so proud of the generosity of the Emergency Department staff. They do what they do for a reason: It comes from the heart and they care for others.

ED staff that made these acts of caring and giving include: Eric Bookey, RN; Dr. John Whitman; Juanita Anderson, RN; Juanita Carrasco, RN; Daniel Connell, RN; Pete Davis, RN; Lucas Enos, RN; Kinsey Kelly, RN; Pa Lee, RN; Christina Newby, RN; Tori Harris, ED Tech; Calvin Toohey, ED Tech; Brandon Boers, ED Triage Tech; Matthew Lawrence, Ed Triage Tech; Cynthia Bidwell, Unit Secretary; Diane McCoy, Unit Secretary; Diane Wagster, RN; Cris Richmond, ED Tech; and Heather Carter, Case Manager Social Worker, Case Management 

Story told by Eric Bookey, RN, and submitted by Patty Arena, RN, Emergency Department
Back to Top

Ryan Scarbrough
His Story of Excellence: In late October 2016 there was a vehicle accident in Glenn County that took the lives of a young mother and her 11-month-old daughter.

A short time later, one of our Willows ambulance staff members, Ryan Scarbrough, EMT, of Willows Ambulance, responded on a 911 call, and the patient shared that she was the mother who had lost her daughter and granddaughter in that accident.

She further shared that she was now raising her grandson, who had lost his mother and infant sister in the crash. She was feeling overwhelmed with the loss and new responsibility. Ryan took it upon himself to try to improve the family’s condition.

Realizing the child's grandmother was unable to provide the boy a Christmas, Ryan and his partner, Aaron Macias, Paramedic, Willows Ambulance, met with her and her grandson and received her permission to provide the child with Christmas presents. Ryan shared the story with all of our ambulance staff and started raising donations.

Our staff stepped up and helped with financial donations, donations of clothing and toys, and one employee even bought the boy a new bike and helmet. Everyone got into the spirit of helping the child have the best Christmas possible, but our Willows ambulance staff really deserve the most credit. Ryan deserves recognition as the driving force for organizing and then delivering an amazing Christmas to the little boy.

Submitted by Mark Walker, EMS Supervisor, Butte County EMS
Back to Top

Sara Voigtritter (left) and Judy Boyette
Their Story of Excellence: ICU charge nurse Judy Boyette shared a story with me about a new program that we are trialing that honors our patients who die and helps bring closure to families and caregivers alike. Sara Voigtritter, RN, on our unit, introduced the program at Enloe.

Recently a gentleman went PEA (became unresponsive with no pulse) while his family was in attendance. We worked to resuscitate him for about 20 minutes but were unsuccessful. After Dr. Hawkins talked with the patient’s wife, we stopped resuscitation efforts. Judy provided comfort medicine and stayed with the gentleman, holding his hand, with his family and bedside nurse at his side until he passed. His wife told Judy it was his birthday.

To bring honor, comfort and a sense of normalcy in an awful situation, Judy offered the Honoring Ceremony. She said yes, and Judy asked Sara to lead it.

Sara explained the process to the family, who loved the plan. After the floor RNs, Sara and Judy bathed the patient, dressed him in a clean gown and rid the room of the remnants of the code, we invited in the family. His nurse attended (she was new and this was her first code experience), Sara read the poem and his wife anointed her husband with the lavender oil. The family thanked Sara and Judy profusely, and the bedside nurse was appreciative of the experience as it helped her deal with the distress of experiencing a patient’s death.

Story submitted by Cindy Llewellyn, RN, Nurse Manager, ICU/CCU
Back to Top

Christina Newby (left), Darcy Seipert and Ulises Ayala
Their Story of Excellence: During the evacuation process of the town of Oroville, many members of the community were in need of medical treatment and help. Many had forgotten all of their medications and even oxygen.

Christina Newby, RN, of the Emergency Department, showed up to the medical area of the evacuation center at the fairgrounds in an effort to help. There were limited and very basic supplies. Because of the vast amount of evacuees arriving one right after the other, it was unorganized and hectic, to say the least.

Local EMS received several calls and were on scene multiple times for unnecessary calls. The second time that Darcy Seipert, Paramedic, Ambulance, and her partner, Ulises Ayala, EMT, Ambulance, arrived, it was clear that something needed to change.

Darcy got the OK to stage an ambulance on scene and talked to her supervisors to get the necessary equipment such as more gloves, an accucheck and oxygen.

Christina was able to organize the volunteers, set up an amazing triage area, and create good patient care and flow in the unit. Ulises was excellent at providing patient care and supporting his team. All three were amazing and showed that they truly cared about the community.

Submitted by an employee who wishes to remain anonymous
Back to Top


  • video-img

    Drs. Voelker and Lobosky honored with 2014 Physician Legacy Award

  • video-img

    Drs. Voelker and Lobosky honored with 2014 Physician Legacy Award

  • video-img

    Drs. Voelker and Lobosky honored with 2014 Physician Legacy Award

  • video-img

    Drs. Voelker and Lobosky honored with 2014 Physician Legacy Award

© 2021 Enloe Medical Center. All Rights Reserved.