For a good surgical experience, it’s important to follow the instructions you were given about diet and arrival time. Showering with an antibacterial soap on the evening before or morning of your surgery is recommended.
And be sure to do the following on the day of your surgery:
- Do not smoke or chew tobacco.
- Do not wear mascara or other eye makeup. It can irritate your eyes.
- Remove nail polish if you’re having surgery on your hands or feet.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that is easy to put on after surgery.
Finally, if the person having surgery is a minor, he or she must be accompanied by a parent, who must stay in the building until the child is discharged home or admitted to the medical center.
If you’re wondering what to bring with you and what to keep at home during your procedure, follow these guidelines:
- Leave all valuables at home, including rings, watches, earrings and necklaces.
- Bring your inhalers and eye drops, but leave all other medications at home.
- If you have not had contact with ESPAA, bring a list of your medications, vitamins, supplements, and herbal products, with dosages and scheduled times.
- If you’re staying overnight, bring your advance directive/power of attorney for health care, eyeglass or contact lens case, robe, slippers, hearing aide, toiletries, and reading or writing materials if desired.
- If you are scheduled at Enloe Same Day Surgery, bring your prescription insurance card and co-payment.
When you arrive for your procedure:
- You will meet with a patient service representative.
- You will be escorted to the preoperative area, where a nurse will prepare you for surgery.
- The anesthesiologist will speak with you and your family.
During your surgery, your family can wait for you in the lobby. The surgeon will speak with them after surgery. You will be reunited with your family after surgery, once you have recovered from anesthesia.
If you are an inpatient, staying at Enloe Medical Center, your family will be informed of your room number and the time that they may visit you.