Check Out Chico
Chico, California: A welcoming and affordable change
Chico is a vibrant community blending a university town character with small-town charm. It is a place where you will experience a sense of belonging, where people smile and say hello to each other walking down the street. As the cultural hub of the north valley and a gateway to outdoor recreational opportunities, Chico offers affordable living and a lifestyle that is difficult to match.
Nestled in the heart of the Sacramento Valley, Chico is within a few hours drive of California's large metropolitan areas, the Sierra Nevada Mountains and Lake Tahoe. Chico is located 90 miles north of Sacramento, 174 miles northeast of San Francisco and 151 miles from Napa Valley.
Recognition for Chico
- California State University, Chico ranked #7 in Top Public Schools Regional Universities (West) by U.S. News & World Report (2015)
- Listed among "Best Towns" in Outside Magazine (2011)
- Among Men's Journal "Best Places to Live in America" (2010)
- "5-Star Rating" for K-12 Educational System, Expansion Management Magazine (2007)
- "Best Green Places to Live " in Country Home Magazine (2007)
- # 4 Top Master's level Public Universities from the West by U.S. News & World Report (2007)
- # 5 Fastest Commute in Money Magazine's "Fastest Commute" category (2006)
- # 10 Best Small Art Town in America - Ranked By Author John Villani (2004)
- # 1"Best Places in America" in Forbes magazine's (2000)
Chico is a vibrant, progressive community, blending university town character with small town charm. It's a place where you'll experience a sense of belonging, where people smile and say hello to each other walking down the street. As the cultural hub of the north valley and a gateway to unparalleled outdoor recreational opportunities, Chico offers affordable living and a lifestyle that is difficult to match. Easy to live. Hard to leave.
- Family-friendly community
- Affordable living
- Home to Bidwell Park, the third largest municipal park in the USA, at 3,670 acres
- Home of Chico State University and Butte Community College
- Home to the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
- Offers all four seasons
- Diversity of outdoor recreation including snow skiing within 2 hours and water sports (fishing, kayaking, water skiing and sailing) within 30 minutes
- Commute throughout the Greater Chico Area without traffic, within 15 minutes
Chico by the Numbers
- Butte County's total land area: 1,639.5 square miles
- Population: City of Chico: 88,228 | Chico Urban Area: 104,800 | Butte County: 221,768
- Average annual population increase: 0.9%
- Weather: Chico's four distinct seasons make it a beautiful place to live and work all year-round! Summers are moderate; winters are mild.
- Annual precipitation: 30 inches
- Elevation: 230 feet
- Sales tax: 7.25%
- Average home sale price: $285,000 (3bd, 2ba)
To learn more about Chico, California, visit www.chicochamber.com.