Planetree Initiatives: Arts and Entertainment
Arts and Entertainment is one of our patient-centered initiatives addressing the components of Planetree.
Enloe recognizes and honors the powerful role of the arts in our lives.
Music for Healing Program: Since 2008, Enloe's Music for Healing Program has served the medical center through volunteer musicians who provide live music. The program aims to enhance patients’ healing process by creating a pleasing and relaxing environment for patients, visitors and staff. Musicians have the opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life by doing what they love.
Partnerships with California State University, Chico, and Chico Performances:
- Enloe has collaborated with the university’s Music Department since 2008 to create "Music for Healing and Wellness," anindependent study course for senior music majors.
- Enloe co-sponsors Chico Performances shows, supporting music as a healing art at the medicalcenter and in the community. Sponsorships have included: Harlem Gospel Choir (2012); a lecture by Naomi Judd (2010); Joe Craven with Laura Love & Orville Johnson (2009); Deepak Chopra (2009); the Soweto Gospel Choir (2008); and the Bluestones.
Music, artwork, crafts, therapeutic movement, and writing offer engagement and enjoyment to enhance the clinical and healing environment.
The Enloe Regional Cancer Center received the national Spirit of Planetree Arts & Entertainment Award in 2008. The Spirit of Planetree Awards were created to publicly recognize those who personalize, humanize and demystify the health care experience for others and support extraordinary achievement in patient-centered care.
Among the Cancer Center's projects are:
- the Healing Art Gallery, shown at top;
- live music;
- VIVA!, a support program for kids living with loved ones with cancer;
- Telling Our Stories, writing for anyone touched by cancer;
- Faces of Hope, a photo gallery; and
- the Enloe Cranes Project, an origami folding and cancer awareness program.